Thursday 24 November 2011

What's wrong with being nice?

I have been told that I compliment too much and have nothing but nice things to say to people. That's true to a great extent - I do try to find the most positive things out of a person or a situation. But it doesn't mean that my compliments are insincere. I don't compliment as a habit but because I really believe what I say to be true.

Case in point - I was walking in the park and I saw this aged woman wearing a beautiful pink silk sari - the types you wear at a wedding or a special function. (I just love it when I see elderly people taking such care/concern to look their best to go out, even while going for a stroll in the park.) I walked past her and looked into her eyes and said that "I love your sari ... it's beautiful" in the local language. She was first startled and then happily said 'thank you' in English. 

Did I go and tell everyone in the park that they were wearing something beautiful? No. 
Did I mean it when I told that one lady? Yes.
Did she feel good that I told her? Yes.
Did it make me feel good to tell her? Yes.

Life's so short. Why not take every opportunity to find something positive, to compliment, to be nice? 

I ask you, what's wrong with being nice? 


No comments:

Post a Comment